I’m a design leader. I have over 20 years experience building and leading design teams of various sizes across a broad range of digital product. I am passionate about the potential of design’s impact in a digital world.
I’m a design practitioner. Though I’ve progressed into leadership and management roles, I’ve remained a design and user experience practitioner, most recently with a focus on strategy, research and conceptual design.
I write and speak about design and user experience. I’ve been a well known voice in the web industry for 15 + years. I write a popular typography newsletter and personal blog. I’ve spoken at countless conferences as an invited speaker throughout the world.
A short history…
- I’m a designer. I mostly design digital products and services.
- I’m currently Director of Product Design at Checkout.com
- I’ve held design leadership positions at Monotype, European Molecular Biology Laboratory, and the BBC.
- I founded a design agency which I sold to Monotype in 2014.
- Together with my wife, Emma, I co-founded community publisher, Five Simple Steps.
- You can follow me on Twitter. Drop me an email, if you like, at firstname.lastname@example.org
The long version
I ran a design studio called Mark Boulton Design. During my time running Mark Boulton Design, I worked with global media companies such as ESPN and Al Jazeera; small brands with big stories like Hiut Denim; technology organisations such as Drupal and Alfresco; oh, and CERN, that place in Switzerland that invented the web and discovered the Higgs Boson.
- Leading Design
- Typecast. On HTML Ads.
- Creative Blog. On grids and responsive web design
- Boagworld. On Typography.
- Sitepoint. On freelance design.
- Creative Blog. On layouts and grid systems.
- The Web Ahead. On grids.
- The First Website. Line Mode Browser Hack Day at CERN
- Lullabot. On the Drupal 7 redesign.
I can be found speaking at conferences all over the place on topics such as design systems, graphic design on the web, and design leadership. I’ve spoken at South by South West, An Event Apart, Do Lectures, Web Directions South. If you’d like me to speak at your conference, please let me know.
Prior to running my own studio, I was previously lead designer at the BBC in Wales following several years working in agencies in London, Sydney and Manchester, UK. Designing websites and applications with clients such as British Airways, T-Mobile, Toyota, Vodafone and Commonwealth Bank.